Sunday, December 12, 2010

Four Candles

People in the UK over a certain age have a slight problem with Advent wreaths. We cannot take the phrase "four candles" seriously. Even in Church. Father was talking about the Advent wreath at Mass this morning, and when he mentioned the candles there was a suppressed but audible snigger from the congregation. Why? Because when we hear "four candles", we think "fork handles". Here are Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett in a classic TV comedy sketch from the 1970s:



Hope that gave you a little extra joy for Gaudete Sunday.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

A couple of weeks ago I returned from Asda having bought 4 candles. But when I unpacked my bags there were only 3. "But I definitely bought four candles," I moaned to my husband, who fell about laughing.

Happy Gaudete Sunday. x

Linds said...

It still makes me grin too! And your 101 list is super impressive! Well done! So many achievements! (So many exclamation marks too, but it is that sort of Sunday night. A happy time....)

Jennifer said...

That was so funny. The British definitely do comedy best.