Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One Shelf at a Time - Shelf 10

The top shelf of the next bookcase in the dining room has mostly Bibles. I have a selection of translations that would grace a theology library, acquired mainly from my great-uncle who was a Methodist minister and my mother's former college tutor. Among others I have the Douay-Reims, the KJV, Jerusalem Bible, Knox, New International and RSV. Then there are Greek and Hebrew New Testaments and a Hebrew-English Bible, together with lexicons and grammars. Dante in English and Italian (more inherited books, and no, I can't read the Italian) and various old poetry books - I noticed Milton and Wordsworth - are in a pile along with odd volumes of Virgil, selected writings of Thomas Aquinas and a biography of Peter Abelard. Mostly books I don't use but can't bring myself to part with.

No comments: