January 6th - Epiphany (falls on January 7th this year)
My plans for Epiphany ...
- Add the three kings to our Nativity
- Bake a king cake
- Read poem The Journey of the Magi by T.S.Eliot (could be used as copywork for older children)
- Sing 'We Three Kings of Orient Are'
- House blessing. In the past we have used one from Domestic Church. This year I think we will use either this Franciscan Epiphany House Blessing from Helen at Castle of the Immaculate, or a shorter blessing posted by Jenn in this thread.
The Legend of Old Befana by Tomie de Paola
The Last Straw by Frederic Thury
The Greatest Gift: the Story of the Other Wise Man by Susan Summers
The Stone by Dianne Hofmeyr
January 8th - The Baptism of the Lord
Ideas on my list ...
- Use this renewal of Baptismal promises
- Read and narrate the story of Jesus' Baptism
- Say the First Mystery of Light (Rosary)
- Catechism - focus on the sacrament of Baptism
- Copywork - Baptismal promises from the Easter Vigil
- Do a notebook page on Baptism - include pictures of items used in Baptism (candle, white garment, oil, water) and the words of Baptism
- Look at Baptisteries (Florence and Pisa, for example) and fonts - add pictures to liturgical year notebook.
- Display children's baptismal candles next to our liturgical candle. Other things to add to display ... holy water, baptismal certificates, picture of Baptism of the Lord, photos from children's baptisms.