Saturday, August 19, 2006

A mathematical challenge

This morning Tevye, Angel and Star went to our local shop. Tevye offered the girls seventy pence between them for sweets "but only if what you buy doesn't add up to a number ending in three or seven".

Angel: [Highly indignant] But you're trying to make us do maths! And it's the holidays! Don't do it Star!!!!

Star: Ok. I won't. That's not fair. It's maths!

Tevye: Fine. You don't have to have sweets.

Angel: [Ponders ...] I know ... Star, if we both make sure what we get is even then it will be Ok.

Star: You mean ending in 2, 4, 6 or 8?

Angel: Or zero. That's right. Then [triumphantly] we won't need to add it up!

Nice to see that she is capable of creative solutions to mathematical problems [chuckle]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I had left a comment here yesterday but it doesn't seem to have taken.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think Tevye is very clever!

Blessings,

Faith