Monday, August 27, 2007

Reading Meme

As a bookworm, how could I resist taking up the open invitation at the Dumb Ox Academy to take part in this reading meme.

What are you reading right now?
Montessori. I have just finished Children Who Are Not Yet Peaceful by Donna Bryant Goertz, I am half way through The Secret of Childhood by Maria Montessori, and dipping into Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under Fives by David Gettman.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you are done with that?
I'll go back to the three books I had just started on (simultaneously - why do I do that?) before I got distracted by Montessori: In the Steps of St.Paul by H.V.Morton, A People's History of Britain by Rebecca Fraser, and The Story of France by Eleanor Doorly. I also want to read Home Education by Charlotte Mason while the Montessori reading is fresh in my mind, so that I can see where there is overlap between the two and where they differ. I am also planning to re-read the entire Harry Potter series over the winter.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
None. We have very small bathrooms with nowhere to put reading material. I normally grab something from my bedside table on the way. My current grab is the Basic Montessori book.

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
The Antiquary by Walter Scott. It was required reading for my English A-level (exams taken at 18 in British schools) and I found it worse than watching paint dry. I've never been able to bring myself to read anything by Scott since.

What's the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
I recommend so many books to so many different people it is very hard to pick one. I think I'll go for children's historical fiction, as that is a favourite genre of mine ... Beorn the Proud by Madeleine Polland, which has a wonderful mix of historical detail, faith and adventure.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?
No, but they know me by sight well enough to allow me to occasionally go over the limit with the number of books on my ticket.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don’t like it at all?
I love the Chalet School books by Elinor M. Brent Dyer, but I am always reluctant to recommend them because I imagine mid-20th century boarding school stories are something of an acquired taste.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer? While you’re having sex? While you’re driving?
Almost all of the above. Most notably the second. Is it possible to bathe without a book? Surely dropping a book into the bath is a necessary rite of passage for any self-respecting bookworm.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
Not that I remember.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. My excuse is that I needed to finish it quickly because I was sharing it with Angel.

I'm out of time, so if you are reading this, you're tagged!

2 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

Fun responses, Kathryn! The last all-night one for me was also HP ... I didn't have the sharing excuse, but I did have the "I want to find out for myself what happens before the world spoils the ending for me" excuse. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn,

I tried to post the other day but your blog wouldn't let me!

That is very interesting about John Gillingham! I think the Chalet School books sound good too. That was type of book I loved to read at one time,except that I know in real life I would have hated boarding school. But it sounds so attractive in stories!