Sunday, April 30, 2006

Coming out of the fog

Last week was spent in a physical and mental fog - all too common this pregnancy, I'm afraid - after yet another virus struck. Or maybe the same one struck again. Whichever, I was laid low by sore throat, lethargy and general malaise, nicely complemented by a viral rash that made it look as though I had a particularly puce form of measles on my face and neck. I am pleased to report I am now emerging from the other end of the fog and normal blogging service is resumed. (Computer permitting. More on that later!)

On Thursday I went for an appointment at the asthma clinic, where the doctor tweaked my medication in the hope that a different steroid dose would make me less prone to throat infections. He also - blessed, blessed man! - decided my cough was being aggravated by gastric reflux and gave me a prescription to fix it. Wonderful, magic pills! No more heartburn. No more coughing until I part company with breakfast (or lunch ... or dinner ...). I can eat anything I like. I can go to bed without needing five pillows. Bliss! The tail end of the virus is manifesting itself in what sounds like a classic smoker's cough, but in comparison to the cough I had before it is positively comfortable.

Then on Friday Tevye dispatched me to my mother's where I spent the weekend resting and being thoroughly spoiled. I read, scrapbooked and started knitting a baby blanket, inspired by a beautiful blanket picture posted on the wonderful Babylove blog. I ate. A lot, with plenty of comfort food - bacon rolls, beef casserole, cream cake, bread and butter pudding. I feel so much better I am hopeful that the next seven weeks will be the best of this entire pregnancy. And I'm sure all the rest and comfort food will have done Little Cherub good!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh Bookworm, you are such a dear to mention my Babylove blog! I am so envious of the bread and butter pudding. My aunt who passed away last fall used to make it for me when I was a little girl. I am anxious to see photos of that baby blanket as it grows! The most I am making these days are baby socks...tiny things that take no time is the most I can get done. Blessings on the life growing within you!

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm so glad you had such a blissful weekend! So sorry to hear about the virus, though. Those are even tougher when you're pregnant, but thank heavens for your dear doctor. :-)

"Only" seven weeks to go ... our prayers continue!

The Bookworm said...

Becky, I love your Babylove blog. It has been so long since we had a baby here, and I am enjoying the reminders of everything we have to look forward to :). I'm getting through the blanket fast. I'm a quick knitter, though hadn't done much for years until this pregnancy. I'll post a picture when it's done.