Friday, June 25, 2010

7 Quick Takes: 25th June 2010


Arghh!!!!! I just accidentally deleted my quick takes three words from the end of take seven. How? How????

Briefly, as best I can remember ...

1. Sporting highlight of the week: England beating Slovenia and qualifying for the next round of the World Cup. Lowlight: England's dire performance against Algeria. Just awful! I had mixed feelings over the USA. On the one hand I wanted to see them qualify, but on the other, I didn't want to see England stuck with a match against Germany. (Thanks guys! Not!). England vs. Germany is our match of doom. They have met four times in the World Cup, and every match has been tied after 90 minutes. The usual format is 120 minutes of agonising frustration followed by defeat for England on penalties (which the Germans always score, and England always miss). The only time England won was in 1966 when they beat Germany 4-2 in the World Cup final.

2. More sport ... did anyone see the world's longest ever tennis match at Wimbledon this week. I didn't watch, but kept up with the score on the news. American John Isner beat Frenchman Nicholas Mahut 6-4, 3-6, 6-7, 7-6, 70-68. Yes, that was a 138 game last set. Absolutely mind boggling.

3. Cherub is in a phase where it is impossible to have a conversation with her that doesn't involve the word "why". Example:
Cherub: Can I watch TV please?
Me: Yes
Cherub: Why?
Let's just say the novelty of seeing her curiosity emerge has worn off.

4. I thought that as Cherub's name (Naomi) is relatively unusual, she would be sure to be the only Naomi in her school year, if not the entire school. Wrong. There is another one the same age. It could be worse, though. In her school class there are two boys named Jack, with almost identical surnames (7 and 8 letter names with 2 letters different). Imagine the confusion that is going to cause, potentially for the next fourteen years.

5. On the subject of names ... Cherub's school group seems a good one for girls' names, with lots of rather pretty ones. So far I have noticed Olivia, Isabel, Sophie, Megan, Millie, Zoe, Zara, Rose, Ruby, Keira, Aimee, Holly and Grace ... and no "ewww" names. My definition of "ewww" names would be those obviously copied from a fashionable popstar, names spelled in bizarre ways, or names that are cute on little girls but seriously odd for anyone over thirty.

6. I have forgotten number six.

7. What I should be doing instead of retyping this is cooking for tonight's international meal. I struggled to find something Turkish that (a) I could cook, (b) I could easily find ingredients for, and (c) everyone will eat. The final plan for the main course is Middle Eastern Baked Kufta (which I'm going to prepare in advance), Turkish Pilaf with Tomato, and Shepherd's Salad.

Sorry, no time to proof read!

Read more quick takes at Conversion Diary


3 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

My brother had a boy in his class that had the same first name and ONE letter of the last name different.

And, my sister ended up marrying her brother. Hardly worth getting her driver's license changed, for one letter!

annies home said...

Sports have been a pretty big issue here as well my kids have lots of soccer players for friends and they are closely watching the ongoings

Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith said...

Dinner sounds delicious, thanks for linking the recipes!