Friday, July 03, 2009

7 Quick Takes

____________________

1. Our nice, new, large fridge-freezer has been up-and-running since Monday, and supplying us with ice and chilled water through this week's heatwave. Bliss.
___________________

2. The fridge-freezer was disconnected again today, along with the washing machine, so that the kitchen floor can be levelled with a layer of cement first thing on Monday morning. Back to stuffing everything in the old fridge-freezer again for a few days. And no ice dispenser, so it is good that the heatwave is due to end at the weekend.
___________________

3. I got my hair coloured yesterday for the first time in years. This time it was motivated by the desire to cover up the grey hairs that are beginning to multiply. I don't mind them on my own account ... it's another mid-life motherhood thing. I'm aware that by the time Cherub is Angel's age I will be sixty, and for her sake I'm working on looking closer to fifty-five than sixty-five when I reach that age. I may be old enough to be her grandmother, but I don't want to look it.
___________________

4. It has been very noticeable this week that Cherub has moved on a stage in her play, with role play becoming a very big thing ... pretend visits to the seaside and the swimming pool, and games of "tooth fairy" are the current favourites. And shops, of course. Tooth fairy is a good one as it requires the co-player to go to sleep. Very restful.
___________________

5. Yesterday Star brought home a final costume list for next week's dance show. Why is there always at least one item that I knew nothing about? Where am I going to get flesh coloured footless dance tights before Sunday?
___________________

6. The boiler and central heating system was serviced today. This afternoon the heating came on and refused to switch off. The service people said they couldn't send anyone to fix it until Monday - when they won't be able to get at the controls because the kitchen will be full of wet cement. After some negotiation they agreed to send someone on Sunday. Then three hours after being turned off the radiators finally cooled down of their own accord. What malignant central heating gremlin decides that it should stop working in the winter and refuse to stop working in the summer?
___________________

7. I spent the shopping with Angel in Watford - she had a day off school, and wanted to go to the large Primark there. Said Primark was so large, and I was so overwhelmed by the amount of stuff, that I actually ended up buying two of the same thing by mistake. It was lovely to spend a day with just my biggest girl. It is too long since we did that.
___________________

You can find more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Role playing is very popular here too. One favorite has been airplane. We checked out a book about Airports from the library recently and that sparked a spate of pretending to go through the process of checking in and getting on the plane. Of course the fact that we flew to Texas in February has much to do with that particular fascination.

Other favorites are going shopping and sewing. Bella has a little wicker basket that she loads up with cans and boxes from my pantry. She also grabs her set of keys and tells me she's off to the store. And she loves sitting at my sewing table and playing with the scraps I've given her. Funny because I haven't sewn for more than two months.

And then I found her doctoring Sophie the other day, pretending to give her a shot in the arm and then bandaging it with a scrap of cloth from the sewing scraps.