Friday, August 22, 2008

A Little Bit of Rhythm

Tomorrow we leave for a week in Cornwall. I'm hoping it won't be too wet a week, as Little Cherub is frantic to "go seaside NOW!!!". Playing on the beach in the rain is not my idea of fun. When we get back, there will only be three more days before Angel and Star go back to school, and it will just be Little Cherub and I at home again. How we are going to miss our big girls!

I think it would be good for both of us to add a little rhythm to our days when we get back into the term time routine, and I have a simple plan. The girls leave for school in the morning at about 8am. After they go I will to read to Cherub for as long as she wants, then do housework (Cherub can either play or "help"), followed by a different activity for each day of the week:

  • Monday - cooking
  • Tuesday - nature (visit country park, gardening or indoor activity, depending on the weather)
  • Wednesday - art and craft
  • Thursday - out and about (the zoo, the farm, playdates, library and so on)
  • Friday - music (Jo Jingles class)
I am one of those people who has to have a plan, or nothing will happen. If I make a list of nature and art activities in advance and make sure I have any supplies needed, there is a fighting chance we will do them; if I try to be spontaneous, forget it. I am hoping this pattern of daily activities will give our week just the right amount of structure.

2 comments:

Shari said...

I'm like you about planning. My natural tendency is to drift.... This looks like a very fun plan. Lucky Little Cherub!!

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I like your plan and the idea of rhythm. I'm feeling a need for something similar myself.

And yet don't have the external impetus of back to school. I know part of my problem is I'm such a night owl and I frequently don't even get up till 7:30 or 8. Then breakfast for me and Bella and then having to nurse Sophie and the morning is half over before we leave the house and we have to be back for lunch and naps.

But perhaps I'll experiment with something like your plan to see if I can implement it. Right now I have gotten organized to the extent that Friday is always grocery shopping day. Perhaps we can make Monday baking day and Tuesday nature walk.... hmmm much to ponder.