So much for posting earlier in October as I promised last month! Here is October's picture book list a day into November:
The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle - at Rose's request. She knew this from school but we had never read it at home.
A is for Africa by Ifeoma Onyefulu
- Rose asked for more of this series, so I obliged.
Prita Goes to India by Prodeepta Das
- continuing Rose's geographical theme. This is one of a short series which show life in a country through the eyes of a child visiting the country from which her family originated. Rose loved this and asked for more of the same for next month.
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
- Rose wanted something else to do with plants to go with The Tiny Seed.
Saint Francis by Brian Wildsmith
- one of my all time favourite picture books. Rose used to love this but it didn't grab her so much this time round.
Ahmed and the Feather Girl by Jane Ray
- beautifully illustrated tale of a boy rescued from life with a cruel circus owner by a beautiful feathered girl who hatched from an egg. Unfortunately it was rather lost on Rose as I read it to her when she was in a fury because bedtime had come too early and she wanted to watch something on TV!
Adam and Eve and the garden of Eden by Jane Ray
- I love her illustrations.
M is for Mexico by Flor de Maria Cordero
- yes, another from the same series.
Katie Morag Delivers the Mail by Mairi Hedderwick
- the older girls enjoyed the Katie Morag series about a little girl growing up on a Scottish island but Rose hadn't clicked with them. I noticed that she has a Katie Morag unit coming up at school in the next few weeks so thought I'd introduce her again. Went down better this time!
Zoe Sophia's Scrapbook: an Adventure in Venice by ELISA Smalley and Claudia Mauner - I found this cheap ebook on Amazon and it was the first time I'd read a Kindle picture book (on the iPad - it really wouldn't work well on my black and white Kindle!). The ebook experience was fine, but somehow we got distracted in the middle of the book and never came back to it.
For next month Rose has requested more of the children of the World Series and books about insects and butterflies.
A family of five living in Bedfordshire, England. The Bookworm - reader, writer, trainee archivist, musician, scrapbooker, knitter, cross-stitcher, lifelong learner; passionate about Catholicism, good children's books, and medieval history. Tevye - long-suffering Jewish father of three. Helen (Angel) - 17 years old, gymnastics coach, techie, photographer, born organised. Marie (Star)- 14 years old, fashionista, dreamer, lateral thinker. Rose (Little Cherub) - 6 years old, fairy princess, ballerina.