Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day Zero Project

I came across the Day Zero Project a few weeks ago thanks to Pamela. The idea is to list 101 things you would like to do over the next 1001 days. Given my love of lists and planning I had to give this one a try. Unfortunately my implementation rarely lives up to the planning, but I'm not going to let that dampen my enthusiasm. My birthday seemed such a tidy day to start, so I spent some time over the last week compiling my list. It was hard! 101 is a bigger number than it sounds, but with a bit of help from the prompts at Day Zero and browsing through other lists, I got there. A lot is fun stuff, some more serious. I found it useful to see what I would like to do more of, and the progress I would like to make in various areas. I'm hoping it will make me do more, and putter about online less.

I cut and pasted the entire list into this post. It is long. Please don't feel obliged to read the whole thing!

1 Qualify as an archivist

2 Get a part time job

3 Get a Wii Fit

4 Do Wii Fit at least twice a week for three months

5 Swim twice a week for three months

6 Use the cross trainer twice a week for three months

7 Exercise regularly for a year

8 Swim a mile

9 Do a 20 mile walk

10 Lose 20 pounds

11 Fit comfortably into a pair of size 14 jeans

12 Go to an art gallery

13 Watch an Olympic event live

14 Go to Lincoln Christmas market

15 See a musical in London

16 Attend a ballet

17 See a Play

18 Buy a zoo membership and use it at least 4 times a year

19 Go to the London Aquarium

20 Visit the Eden Project

21 Visit Kew Gardens

22 Ride at least 10 roller coasters

23 See at least 7 UNESCO World Heritage sites

24 Visit Budapest

25 Visit Prague or Vienna

26 Visit Edinburgh

27 Visit every county in England

28 Go on a cruise

29 Go camping.

30 Swim in the sea

31 Make a sand castle

32 Go sailing

33 Knit 12 pairs of socks in a year

34 Knit 6 pairs of socks from Around the World in 26 Socks

35 Knit myself a cardigan

36 Knit myself a sweater

37 Take part in Ravelympics 2012

38 Learn to spin

39 Sew a garment

40 Complete and frame unfinished cross stitch projects

41 Read 10 classic books

42 Read 10 biographies

43 Read 101 books to Naomi

44 Ask 20 friends to suggest one book, and read them all

45 Read a book in one day

46 Do a 48 hour book challenge

47 Spend an afternoon reading at the park

48 Read a book in French

49 Learn conversational Spanish

50 Watch 10 classic movies

51 Spend a rainy day watching movies in my PJ's

52 Watch a film from the year of my birth.

53 Go to the movies once a month for a year

54 Watch the entire series of Lost

55 Watch all 3 Lord of the Rings movies in a weekend

56 Create a photo journal for one week

57 Photograph all these tasks as they are completed and blog them.

58 Take a photo of the same place every month for a year

59 Take 101 pictures of things that make me happy.

60 Photograph a sunset

61 Scan my old photos

62 Finish a scrapbook for my mother

63 Start scrapbooks for each of my daughters

64 Write a blog post every day for 1 month.

65 Back up my blog

66 Write a love letter to my husband

67 Write a list of 101 things I’ve already achieved in this lifetime

68 Try 20 new recipes

69 Try out 6 new local restaurants

70 Go to a sushi bar

71 Bake my own bread for a month

72 Learn to play high B flat on the trombone

73 Learn to play Fiddler on the Roof on the violin

74 Clean out the garage

75 Declutter my house

76 Do 40 trash bag challenge

77 Paint my kitchen yellow

78 Redecorate the dining room

79 Go through every item of clothing in my closet and decide what to keep/throw out.

80 Get an iPhone

81 Buy a pair of red shoes

82 Learn how to french braid

83 Wear earrings everyday for a month.

84 Build a snowman

85 Don't complain about anything for a week

86 Go a week without buying anything

87 Be at least 5 minutes early for everything for a week

88 Pay off our mortgage

89 Go on a silent retreat

90 Write a letter to my daughter for her to read on her 18th Birthday.

91 Do the Race for Life

92 Go for a spa day

93 Get a manicure.

94 Drink champagne with breakfast

95 Make champagne cocktails

96 Send flowers anonymously to a friend in need

97 Save one hundred £2 coins

98 Plant a rockery

99 Grow tomatoes

100 Grow sunflowers

101 Complete three items from this list each month

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I love your list. I'd better print mine out and put it up on the bulletin board or I'm going to forget what is on it! Looking forward to reading your progress.

PixieMum said...

If you plan to come to Kew Gardens let me know. We are Friends of Kew so we could take you in as our guests.

You wouldn't have to stay with us, but do allow a long time there is so much to see, recommend the Pavilion Restaurant. As we live near we are so fortunate to just pop in without trying to view everything at one time.

Best wishes for your big 0 birthday,

Madeleine

Sarah said...

A good list I think! Hope you get everything done. I love making lists and schedules, it gives me a sense of control over my life. :)

Catherine said...

Kathryn, this is a wonderful list! I was wondering....how do you back up a blog? I should probably do that, too, but didn't even know you could.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh I love Kew - was wondering if I could get over there this autumn to see some leaf colour.
Can I suggest an 11b? "Stay fitting comfortably in size 14..." as I just gave in and bought 16s :sigh: Back on the Wii fit and healthy eating.

Great idea and I'll have a look at the prompts it sounds fun, but then I love lists :)

Jessa said...

This is a great list! I got turned onto the project recently too! How's the progress going so far?

I'm trying to help motivate other people to do their lists as I do mine. :) It's more fun to read about other people's as well. :)