Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Book Review: The Greatest Gift

While I'm on the subject of the magi, I'll recommend one of my favourite Christmas picture books - or, more accurately, an Epiphany picture book: The Greatest Gift by Susan Summers. This retells a Victorian story about a fictional fourth wise man, Artaban. Delayed at the beginning of his journey when he stops to help a dying man, he misses the caravan of the other three magi and is forced to follow on behind. After many years of travel he finally reaches Jerusalem just as the King of Kings he is seeking is to be crucified. The precious jewels he brought for the king have all been sold for the benefit of others, and he is painfully aware that he has nothing left to give to the King. Of course, the reality is very different ... "When I was hungry, you gave me food. When I was naked, you clothed me. When I was in distress, you comforted me. As often as you did these things to the least of my children, you did them for me." This is one of those books that brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful book reveiw. Where do you find these books?