Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Random Half Dozen, 2nd Edition

I enjoyed doing my random half dozen last week, so I think I'll carry it on through June. Feel free to play along and do one of your own - if you would like to,  pick any six random topics of your own.

Six favourite items in my wardrobe
Long 3/4 sleeved top with assymetric hem, navy blue with large pink and blue flowers
Short sleeved black top with blue and purple flowers (I'm in an untypically floral phase)
Black linen trousers
Lightweight casual purple summer jacket (I'm also in a purple patch)
A pair of dark blue jeans that fit just right
Rocket Dog thick soled beaded flipflops - can walk in these for hours without aching feet

Six things I need to do today
Tidy the shoe rack disaster zone in the hall
Reorganise the toys we keep out in the sitting room
Return a form to the volunteer coordinator at the record office
Buy toilet paper
Cook something using minced beef for dinner
Enter a large pile of receipts into ClearCheckbook

Six of the most beautiful places I have visited
Mont St Michel, France
Yorkshire Dales, England
Venice, Italy
Assisi, Italy
Kynance Cove, Cornwall
Carcassonne, France

Six tracks from my "Happy Music" playlist
(I use this one to brighten up housework)
Jai Ho (from Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack)
Floral Dance (Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band - not Terry Wogan!)
Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson)
Don't Stop Me Now (Queen)
Pirates of the Caribbean theme
Sun is Shining (Bob Marley, techno remix)

Six memorable train journeys (I love trains!)
London to Penzance (Cornwall) - the line runs within yards of the Devon coast in what has to be one of the most scenic stretches of railway anywhere
Appleby (Cumbria) to Settle (Yorkshire) - part of the Settle-Carlisle railway, with more stunning scenery.
North Yorkshire Moors Railway - operated by full size steam engines and feels like travelling back 70 years (I'll gloss over the fact that I think Angel and Star caught chicken pox on this railway!)
Milan to Rome - the only time I have spent the night on a train, in a couchette
Ryde to Shanklin (Isle of Wight) - operated by old electric London Underground trains, the Island Line starts at the seaward end of a mile long pier
London to Aviemore (Scotland) - travels over the Drumochter Pass, the highest railway pass in the UK

Six things you may not know about me
I have a knack for spilling my food and drinks down my front
I once knit a chiquita banana
My first job was a holiday job assembling TV aerial sockets
I have flown in an hot air balloon
According to my mother, my first word was "violin"
I once drove an Austin Maxi at over 100mph (it was a very empty motorway, in the days before speed cameras)

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Great list! Definitely putting the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on my to-do list; I had one of their brochures since we were in Yorkshire in 2001! We took the East Lancashire Railway steam train from Bury to Rawtenstall when were there in 2003 - lovely ride through gorgeous countryside.